Because I use this blog as somewhat of a journal of our lives I thought I would answer a few questions for us to have and look back on. Often I am asked about being a ministers wife and how I feel about it... take it as you will. This is merely my short lived experience.
A little background...
Rich and I met in college and he was a youth associate at a church in Waco. I knew his plan was to go into long term youth ministry. This was something that I had to seriously consider. I needed to have some serious conversations with Jesus and figure out if this was something I could handle. I never saw myself marrying a minister. But I fell in love with one. A youth minister at that! After seeing Rich do his thing and hear him speak, lead worship, and watch his interactions with the students. How could I not fall more in love with him and know that he was obeying and trusting what Christ had for him.
One of the first times I went to Sondays Camp with Woodway I wrote Rich a note and said "You are truly in your element." I meant it. So now we have been married for a little over 2 years and he has graduated with his MDiv and we are in full time youth ministry!
How do you protect your marriage from the demands of ministry?
Rich is great at leading out in this. He is protective of our time and our marriage. When he is home, he his home. If something comes up that is urgent, or something needs his attention he is great about letting me know that something has come up and he needs to be at work a little bit longer or work from home. Depending on the situation I may or may not have the details. Which I also appreciate. I admire Rich's integrity to the students and their families. I do not need to know all the details. What people trust him with-they can trust him with.
Concerning our time together-we both are conscious of how important it is. We have weekly traditions. We grill out every Monday, we have ice cream dates, we spend time with Tegan of course. Rich has done an amazing job protecting our time. I know this is not everyones experience, but we have worked hard to protect our time.
Are you required to go to youth events?
Outside of being a member of our church, and a part of our Sunday school class, Woodway and Valley Ranch had no "requirements" for me. Again, I know this is not everyones experience, but I am so grateful for the churches and how protective they were/are of me. I am not required to go to any events, lead a small group, or stay up for the all night lock ins :). I do them because I want too!
One of the first questions Rich asked when we were interviewing with Valley Ranch was what is expected of my wife. He made sure, that I was not going to be looked to as a side employee. I had nothing expected of me other than to be Rich's wife and I chose to be active in different areas of the church.
I am incredibly grateful for our church family and how they look out for me. I am asked all kinds of questions, but I thought two would be plenty for my long answers. I found a blog that hits the challenges right on. Our family and friends have been so supportive through our move, and new life here. I am also so grateful for my sister who is a youth minster wife in Austin. She has taught me so much about protecting time, relationships, and family.
No comments:
Post a Comment